Orange County is a national hub for drug and alcohol rehabs, and destinations like Laguna Beach are filled with activities for those in recovery.
Whether you are participating in Dry January, National Recovery Month, or you want to commit to ongoing sobriety, Southern California is the ideal destination for sober living.
Fun Non-Drinking Activities in Laguna Beach
- Visiting the Beach
Visiting the Beach
Two of the leading advantages of recovery in Southern California are the year-round warm weather and the beautiful beaches.
If you attend a treatment center in Laguna Beach, you can take advantage of seven miles of coastline and choose from over thirty different beaches.
Swimming, surfing, relaxing, and meditating on the beach are all positive behaviors that can help as you create a healthier lifestyle in recovery. The following beaches are designated drug and alcohol free zones:
- Laguna Beach
- Newport Beach
- Huntington Beach
- Corona del Mar
The surfing conditions in and around Laguna Beach are globally famous. Word classes beaches like Laguna Beach, Thousand Steps Beach, Newport Beach, and Corona del Mar offer surf lessons for beginners and challenging breaks for more seasoned surfers.
Huntington Beach near Laguna Beach is known as Surf City USA and hosts the U.S. Open of Surfing.
It is also worth heading to The Wedge, a beach in Newport Beach with outstanding surfing conditions. Waves can reach heights of twenty feet.
There is an abundance of shopping in and around Laguna Beach, including:
- HIP District: This district is named for its historic, interesting places. You can find ocean views on the west side of the HIP district with retailers selling art, fashion, jewelry and books. This district is also home to 15 art galleries, more than a dozen restaurants, and plenty of lowkey coffee shops with outdoor seating. The beaches and hangouts of Laguna Beach are accessible at the end of every street. Check out Laguna Beach Books, Buy Hand, and Pottery Place.
- South Coast Plaza: South Coast Plaza is a Laguna Beach shopping retreat that boasts an art center and over 250 boutiques. The plaza consists of three levels of retailers, from locally-owned shops to big-box stores. Browse Saks Fifth, Bloomingdale’s, and Nordstrom if you’re in the mood to spend some of the money you are no longer spending on alcohol. When you’re done shopping, eat in one of 30 restaurants to crown your sober day in Laguna Beach.
- Lumberyard Plaza Shopping Center: Lumberyard Plaza Shopping Center is set in a contemporary lumber company village. Explore French-themed cafes, galleries, and boutiques in downtown Laguna Beach.
If you’re looking to clear your mind, get some exercise, and reconnect with nature, you’ll find plenty of trails for hiking in Laguna Beach.
Walk along the stunning trails of:
- Top of the World in Laguna Beach
- Crystal Cove State Beach
- Blackstar Canyon
- Costa Mesa back bay trail
You can also find many more hiking opportunities in Los Angeles County and San Diego County, both less than an hour away. Not an outdoors person? Laguna Beach also is home to several amazing fitness centers that will help you live a healthier lifestyle.
Throughout the year, free outdoor concerts and movies are hosted by Orange County Parks and Recreation Department. Watch the sunset and take in some entertainment that isn’t lubricated by alcohol.
Starting on Memorial Day Weekend then running throughout the summer, head to Newport Dunes for Movies on the Beach. Bring your own food and non-alcoholic drinks and remember some warm clothes as the beach can get frosty at night.
Consider the following events hosted in and around Laguna Beach, CA:
- Sawdust Art Festival: This annual festival features over 200 artists who showcase their work in a variety of mediums including painting, sculpture, and jewelry.
- Pageant of the Masters: This annual event features live installations, where actors are painted to blend in with famous works of art.
- Festival of Arts: This annual event features the works of more than 140 local artists, with a variety of media on display, including paintings, sculptures, and jewelry.
- Art-A-Fair: This annual event features media from over 125 artists from around the world.
- Laguna Beach Music Festival: This annual festival features classical music performances by world-renowned musicians.
- The Sawdust Winter Fantasy: This annual event features a holiday-themed art market, live entertainment, and other festive activities.
- The Festival of Whales: This annual event features a parade, live music, and other activities celebrating the annual migration of the grey whales.
You can also connect with over 150 12-step meetings like Alcoholics Anonymous in Orange County if you need some extra support in your ongoing recovery from alcohol use disorder. For those who require more immediate assistance, we can help you here at California Detox in Laguna Beach.
California Detox in Laguna Beach
If you have been grappling with alcohol abuse and you want to initiate your recovery, we can help you at California Detox in Laguna Beach.
To streamline alcohol withdrawal, we recommend engaging with our supervised medical detox program. Detox will address the physical issue of dependence. After a week or so, you can transition into one of the following treatment programs:
- Inpatient programs (residential rehab)
- PHPs (partial hospitalization programs)
- IOPs (intensive outpatient programs)
- Dual diagnosis treatment programs
Access an individualized treatment program for alcoholism that combined evidence-based intervention and holistic treatments, such as:
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Family therapy
- Holistic therapy
When you are ready to reclaim your life from active alcohol addiction, call admissions at 949.390.5377 for immediate assistance.