Laguna Beach in Southern California is a tourist destination that offers abundant opportunities for those in recovery from addiction to connect with nature.
The most recent data from SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) indicates that drug addiction and alcoholism are on the rise in the United States. The same data also shows a significant treatment gap with fewer than one in ten of those with addictions obtaining any form of treatment.
We want to help
When you are ready to kickstart your recovery, today’s guide outlines some of the best sober hangout spots in Laguna Beach, CA.
Fun Spots in Laguna Beach
- Pacific Marine Mammal Center
- Festival of Arts and Pageant of the Masters
- Heisler Park
- Laguna Art Museum
- Laguna Beach Trolley
1) Pacific Marine Mammal Center
Founded in 1971, Pacific Marine Mammal Center is a non-profit located in Laguna Beach, California that focuses on rescuing, rehabilitating, and releasing marine mammals and sea lions in distress.
The center also conducts research and educational programs to promote conservation and understanding of marine mammals. Some of the species it cares for include:
- California sea lions
- Elephant seals
- Harbor seals
Pacific Marine Mammal Center relies on volunteers and donations to carry out its mission and has rescued and released thousands of animals back into the ocean. Head to the facility, observe the animals, and learn about their care and rehabilitation as you embark upon your own recovery journey in Laguna Beach.
2) Festival of Arts and Pageant of the Masters
The Festival of Arts and Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach, California, is a must-see event for art lovers and enthusiasts. The annual summer event combines fine art with performance art, showcasing local artists and their works, along with the famous Pageant of the Masters, where live actors recreate classical and contemporary paintings in front of a live audience.
The Pageant of the Masters has been taking place for over 80 years, making it one of the oldest ongoing cultural events in Southern California. For those looking for an invigorating sober outing in Laguna Beach, head to at Festival of Arts of Laguna Beach and transport yourself to a world of art, culture, and imagination.
3) Heisler Park
A stunning seaside park located in Laguna Beach, Heisler Park offers gorgeous views of the Pacific Ocean and its well-manicured gardens. This park is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike.
The park was designed in the 1930s by Frederick Law Olmsted Jr, a nationally renowned landscape architect. Heisler Park features several unique features such as a rock jetty, picnic areas, and a gazebo that provides panoramic views of the ocean.
Heisler Park is also home to a number of art installations, including the famous Breaker’s Row bronze sculptures, depicting surfers in action. So, if you’re looking for a beautiful place to relax, have a picnic, or enjoy some ocean views, check out Heisler Park and reconnect with nature.
4) Laguna Art Museum
Laguna Art Museum is the oldest art museum in Orange County, California, founded in 1918 by artists who wanted to showcase their works. The museum is located in the heart of Laguna Beach, facing the Pacific Ocean. Enjoy ocean views from the outdoor patio area.
The museum has a permanent collection of more than 2,000 works of American art from the late 19th century to the present day. You can also take advantage of special events and rotating exhibitions throughout the year.
Some of the artists whose works can be found at the museum include Edgar Payne, William Wendt, and Grace Briggs.
The museum offers a variety of educational programs for all ages, including art classes and workshops. It also has a museum store where you can find unique gifts and souvenirs.
If you’re an art lover, Laguna Art Museum will not disappoint.
5) Laguna Beach Trolley
Take the Laguna Beach Trolley to explore this beautiful seaside city. This historic trolley service, which first started operating in the 1920s, runs along a scenic route that takes you through the heart of Laguna Beach and its many attractions.
An eco-friendly mode of transportation powered by clean-burning natural gas, you can hop on and off at various stops along the route, exploring the shops, restaurants, and attractions at your own pace.
Whether you’re a tourist or a resident in recovery from addiction, take a day out on the Laguna Beach Trolley for a unique way to see the sights and sounds of this vibrant coastal community.
Staying Sober in Laguna Beach
Staying sober in Laguna Beach, or any other location, can be challenging, but it is possible with the right support and resources. Here are some tips for staying sober in Laguna Beach:
- Build a strong support network: Surround yourself with positive and supportive individuals who will encourage and motivate you to maintain your sobriety.
- Attend peer support groups: Participate in 12-step programs, like AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), or other support groups like SMART Recovery to supplement addiction treatment.
- Find new activities and hobbies: Replace unhealthy habits with healthy and engaging activities like hiking, exercising, volunteering, or pursuing a new hobby.
- Practice self-care: Take care of your mental, physical, and emotional well-being through activities like meditation, mindfulness, or ongoing therapy.
- Be mindful of triggers: Be aware of your triggers and avoid situations or people that may lead you to relapse.
- Seek out sober communities: Connect with others in recovery through online communities, sober social networks, or local organizations.
- Work with a therapist or counselor: Seek professional help to work through any emotional or psychological issues that may be contributing to your addiction.
Laguna Beach Rehab at California Detox
If you are addicted to alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications, kickstart your recovery at California Detox in Laguna Beach.
Take advantage of the most efficient route to inpatient or outpatient Laguna Beach rehab with a supervised medical detox. Access FDA-approved medications to reduce the intensity of cravings and withdrawal symptoms. Detox tackles the physical issue of drug or alcohol dependence, allowing you to move seamlessly into one of these treatment programs at our luxury rehab in Laguna Beach, California:
- Inpatient programs (residential rehab)
- IOPs (intensive outpatient programs)
- PHPs (partial hospitalization programs)
- Dual diagnosis treatment program (for co-occurring disorders)
- Virtual IOPs (remote rehab programs)
All of our treatment programs provide personalized treatment that combines science-based interventions and holistic treatments to treat addictions and mental health conditions. Therapies may include:
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Group therapy
- Individual counseling
- Family therapy
- Holistic therapies
Call admissions today at 949.694.8305 and begin your recovery journey in Laguna Beach tomorrow.